Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Beth's Pesto Pasta

This is my own little recipe that turned out SO GOOD.

My husband and I were on the first night of our week long challenge to eat healthy, and I needed to serve a dinner without any meat in it. That my husband would actually LIKE.

I tried adding a pre-made pesto sauce to noodles, but it was so blah-ho-hum. So, knowing what a huge hit the flavor was from my Roasted Garlic Broccoli the night before, I decided to piggy back the flavor onto my Pesto dish.

The result was deee-lish! So great that it's simple & easy to make as well!

(Again, I rarely measure when creating...just do your best. It's a forgiving recipe!)

Ingredients
1/3 to 1/2 a box of pasta (I chose organic, whole wheat, angel hair pasta..Simple Truth brand from Smiths)
Pesto
Parmesan Cheese
Garlic Powder
Onion Powder
Thyme
Iodized Sea Salt (don't forget to use iodized! Lack of iodine in the diet is highly linked to mental retardation in unborn babies. Your body needs it!)
Diced Tomatoes


Directions
Cook your chosen pasta per directions on the box, drain but don't let cool down

In your serving bowl, mix warm pasta with drizzled olive oil, 2 spoonfuls of pesto & a good serving of Parmesan cheese. These items tend to clump onto your spoon. (The warmth of the noodles helps it all separate and not clump...I also "cut" the noodles in half with my spoon a few times while mixing.)

Lightly sprinkle on salt to bring out flavors, mix.

Add Garlic powder, Onion powder, and thyme. Sprinkle a bit of each, mix and taste until you have desired results.

Garnish the top with diced tomato and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  This will get the "ooooooohhhhh--fancy!" reaction from your husband ;)

Note: We used this as a main dish, served with a side salad. To boost the protein content, we sprinkled on hemp seed, which contains 10 g of protein per 3 Tb. They are finely chopped and add a nice texture to this dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment